STAND. COM. REP. NO. 886
RE: S.B. No. 1162
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1162, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FOREST STEWARDSHIP,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to clarify conditions that must be met by applicants in order to receive funds under the forest stewardship program administered by the Board of Land and Natural Resources.
More specifically, this measure modifies program qualification requirements to:
(1) Increase program eligibility for private forest managers;
(2) Increase the funds available for management of private forests; and
(3) Provide protections for native vegetation.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources.
Your Committee finds that this measure authorizes increased support for writing forest management plans that will increase program participation among smaller or underserved landowners and ultimately help to improve forest management in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding language that provides additional flexibility to the Department of Land and Natural Resources to enter into program implementation agreements for all or selected portions of approved forest management plans; and
(2) Making a technical nonsubstantive amendment for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1162, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1162, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair