STAND. COM. REP. NO. 340
RE: S.B. No. 1007
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred S.B. No. 1007 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTRIC FOOT SCOOTERS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Improve roadway safety by establishing a framework for the regulation of electric foot scooters by the State and counties; and
(2) Amend the definition of "moped" to exclude electric foot scooters.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Transportation, City and County of Honolulu Department of Transportation Services, City and County of Honolulu Department of Customer Services, Lime, and Spin. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs and Hawaii State Energy Office.
Your Committee finds that electric foot scooters and other micromobility options have enormous potential to be a solution to reducing transportation costs, vehicle congestion on Hawaii's roads, dependence on fossil fuels, and pollutants and harmful emissions. These vehicles are also a good option for first-mile/last-mile connections for many who use public transit as a primary mode of transportation. Your Committee further finds that given the frequency with which these scooters are seen on the roads, it is necessary to appropriately regulate these vehicles. This measure establishes a framework for the regulation of electric foot scooters by the State and counties and amends the definitions of "moped" to exclude electric foot scooters.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requiring that operators of electric foot scooters need to be at least fifteen years old;
(2) Requiring that electric foot scooters shall only be publicly stored or docked at specific locations authorized by a county;
(3) Clarifying that electric foot scooters shall be registered in accordance with section 249-14, Hawaii Revised Statutes, relating to bicycle fees;
(4) Making conforming amendments to sections 249-14, 249-14.2, 249-14.5, 249-15, 249-16, Hawaii Revised Statutes, to include electric foot scooters in the regulations for registration and transfers of ownership; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1007, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1007, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
CHRIS LEE, Chair