STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1159
RE: H.R. No. 159
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.R. No. 159 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION URGING THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND THE CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU'S DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION SERVICES TO CREATE AND MAINTAIN A PRIORITY LIST OF SIDEWALK INSTALLATION AND IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS AND TO PUBLISH THE PRIORITY LIST ON THEIR RESPECTIVE WEBSITES AND FOR THE CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU'S DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION SERVICES TO ELIMINATE THE ONE HOUR GRACE PERIOD FOR ANY VEHICLE PARKING IN KALIHI'S RESIDENTIAL RESTRICTED PARKING ZONE (RPZ) WITHOUT AN RPZ PLACARD BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 6:00PM TO 6:00AM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Urge the Department of Transportation and Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu to create and maintain a priority list of sidewalk installation and improvement projects; and
(2) Urge the Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu to eliminate the one-hour grace period of any vehicle parking in the Residential Restricted Parking Zone.
Your Committee finds that in 2017, the City and County of Honolulu enacted Ordinance No. 17-45, to create a residential restricted parking zone, which granted residents in certain neighborhoods permits to park on the street near those residential neighborhoods. With the permits, residents, and their guests, would be allowed to park in specific locations, without being subject to the one-hour parking time limit. This has been proven successful at mitigating the number of cars parking illegally and has allowed residents to find parking spaces near their residences. Your Committee notes however, that the existing ordinance allows for a one-hour grace period for anyone without a permit to park in these areas and that this should be repealed to allow residences more opportunities to find parking.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting language urging the Department of Transportation and Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu to create and maintain a priority list of sidewalk installation and improvement projects and all related language;
(2) Inserting language regarding the Residential Restricted Parking Zone Program;
(3) Amending its title to read, "URGING THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION SERVICES OF THE CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU TO ELIMINATE THE ONE HOUR GRACE PERIOD FOR ANY VEHICLE PARKING IN A RESIDENTIAL RESTRICTED PARKING ZONE WITHOUT A PLACARD."; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 159, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 159, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair