STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1630
RE: H.C.R. No. 131
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.C.R. No. 131, H.D. 1, entitled:
"HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A BURIAL SITES WORKING GROUP TO REVIEW AND RECOMMEND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE BURIAL SITES PROGRAM WITHIN THE STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION DIVISION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measureis to request the establishment of a Burial Sites Working Group to review and recommend improvements to the Burial Sites Program within the State Historic Preservation Division.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Huliauapa‘a, Aha Moku O Maui Inc., Na Kupuna Moku O Keawe, and numerous individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from Department of Land and Natural Resources.
Your Committee finds that relations between the State Historic Preservation Division, Department of Land and Natural Resources, Island Burial Councils, andHawaiian community at large has become strained over the years. This has led to a lack of trust, on all sides, as well as poor communication among these interest groups. This measure could help ease these tensions by allowing the affected parties to come together to determine an appropriate way forward.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its title to read, "REQUESTING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A WORKING GROUP TO REVIEW AND RECOMMEND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE OPERATIONS OF THE ISLAND BURIAL COUNCILS WITHIN THE STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION DIVISION";
(2) Including information regarding the purposes of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs;
(3) Requesting the establishment of a working group to review and recommend improvements to the workings of the Island Burial Councils, instead of requesting the establishment of a Burial Sites Working Group to review and recommend improvements to the Burial Sites Program;
(4) Requesting the Office of Hawaiian Affairs to convene and conduct the facilitation of the working group;
(5) Amending the requested membership and scope of the working group; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.C.R. No. 131, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as H.C.R. No. 131, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs,
MARK M. NAKASHIMA, Chair