STAND. COM. REP. NO. 886
RE: H.B. No. 947
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 947, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Safe Home Program to provide matching and nonmatching grants for the installation of wind resistive devices to single-family, owner-occupied, residential property owners, in certain circumstances;
(2) Allocate a portion of the monies earned through interest from the Hurricane Reserve Trust Fund's assets to provide grants under the Safe Home Program; and
(3) Create one temporary position within the Insurance Division of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs to implement and administer the Safe Home Program.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs; Hawaii Green Infrastructure Authority; Hawaii State Energy Office; Hawaii Emergency Management Agency; City and County of Honolulu Office of Climate Change, Sustainability, and Resiliency; Hawaii Insurers Council; and one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the State Procurement Office.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amount of interest to be deposited into the Safe Home Trust Fund from the Hurricane Reserve Trust Fund to an unspecified amount; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 947, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 947, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair