STAND. COM. REP. NO. 935
RE: H.B. No. 929
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 929, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO QUALIFIED DOMESTIC RELATIONS ORDERS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Hawaii domestic relations orders apply to benefits the Employees' Retirement System member is expected to receive or is receiving without regard to any Hawaii domestic relations order;
(2) The release of an Employees' Retirement System member's information may be initiated by a divorce decree;
(3) The Employees' Retirement System may notify the member, former member with vested benefit status, retirant, or alternate payee of the advisory review determination on proposed domestic relations orders;
(4) A Hawaii domestic relations order applied to a termination refund will not apply to any future return to work benefits of a member or former member with vested benefit status;
(5) Should a retirant be deceased within a year of retirement, any payments made to an alternate payee according to the terms of a Hawaii domestic relations order will be considered payments to the retirant, should the beneficiary select an alternative benefit option;
(6) The priority of multiple orders will be based upon the date of the receipt of the domestic relations order; and
(7) The qualification of a domestic relations order shall supersede and terminate the qualification of any prior order between the same parties.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 929, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair