STAND. COM. REP. NO. 605
RE: H.B. No. 782
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Corrections, Military, & Veterans, to which was referred H.B. No. 782 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LICENSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Is married to an active duty member of the military;
(2) Accompanies their spouse on a permanent change of station to Hawaii; and
(3) Holds a current, unencumbered license in another jurisdiction in specific professions.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the United States Indo-Pacific Command of the Department of Defense, Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, and five individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the United States Department of Defense, State Department of Defense, and Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Your Committee finds that this measure streamlines the process for licensure of specified professions. In this manner, the measure supports active duty members of the military and their families by increasing the portability of careers for military spouses. This measure makes it easier for members and their spouses to relocate to Hawaii together and for spouses not to remain underemployed, thus promoting the family's financial stability. Your Committee further finds that Hawaii hosts the highest ratio of military spouses to local population of all fifty states.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(2) Providing that the total time period the person holds a license shall not exceed five years in the aggregate or the period covered under the member's military orders of assignment in the State;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 3050, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Corrections, Military, & Veterans that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 782, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 782, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Corrections, Military, & Veterans,
TAKASHI OHNO, Chair