STAND. COM. REP. NO. 498
RE: H.B. No. 777
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Culture, Arts, & International Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 777 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO WORKS OF ART SPECIAL FUND,"
begs leave to report as follows:
Your Committee received testimony in opposition to the measure from State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, Hawaii State Art Museum, Donkey Mill Art Center, Ebb & Flow Arts, Kahilu Theatre, Garden Island Arts Council, Kauai Society of Artists, Hawaii Craftsmen, and numerous individuals.
Your Committee finds that funds from capital improvement project appropriations for renovations of state buildings accounts for over fifty percent of the revenue in the Works of Art Special Fund. Your Committee further finds that removing appropriations for renovations of state buildings as a source of funding for the Works of Art Special Fund will significantly impact the ability of the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts to carry out ongoing program operations, including the acquisition and distribution of works of art, conservation of public art collections, and operations of the Hawaii State Art Museum.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Restoring capital improvement project appropriations for renovations of state buildings as a source of funds for the Works of Art Special Fund;
(2) Authorizing the funding of the State of Hawaii Museum of Natural and Cultural History and the State of Hawaii Museum of Monarchy as a permissible use of the Works of Art Special Fund;
(3) Inserting a sunset date of June 30, 2022;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2065, to promote further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Culture, Arts, & International Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 777, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 777, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Culture, Arts, & International Affairs,
CEDRIC ASUEGA GATES, Chair