STAND. COM. REP. NO. 429
RE: H.B. No. 774
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 774 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DEVELOPMENT DISTRICTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Pulehunui Community Development Authority as an autonomous community development authority under the Hawaii Community Development Authority for the purposes of developing the Pulehunui Community Development District; and
(2) Authorize the Hawaii Community Development Authority to obtain various forms of federal funding for construction, maintenance, and development projects in the Pulehunui Community Development District.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Department of Public Safety, Department of Accounting and General Services, Department of Land and Natural Resources, Hawaii Community Development Authority, one member of the Maui County Council, and one individual.
Your Committee finds that developing the public lands in Pulehunui, Maui, to provide suitable recreational, residential, educational, industrial, governmental, and commercial areas where the public can live, congregate, recreate, attend schools, and shop as part of an integrated community is in the public interest.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the governing policies of the Pulehunui Community Development Authority with respect to the preservation of archaeological, historical, and cultural sites and the protection of endangered species of flora and fauna;
(2) Changing the effective date to January 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 774, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 774, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
DAVID A. TARNAS, Chair