STAND. COM. REP. NO. 499
RE: H.B. No. 760
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Culture, Arts, & International Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 760 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE FOUNDATION ON CULTURE AND THE ARTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to further the efforts of the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts by allowing the Works of Art Special Fund to be used for the support and promotion of performing arts in the State.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Hawaii Arts Alliance. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from Ebb & Flow Arts and three individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Department of the Attorney General; State Foundation on Culture and the Arts; Department of Budget and Finance; and one individual.
Your Committee finds that the proposed expansion of the scope of the State Art Museum and the Art in Public Places and Relocatable Works of Art programs to include support for performing arts falls within the mission of the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts to promote, perpetuate, and encourage culture and the arts in Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the definition of "public places";
(2) Amending the definition of "performing arts" to include dance, singing, and theater;
(3) Removing the requirement that recorded works of performance art be permanently displayed for viewing and listening in public places;
(4) Removing the requirement that the Works of Art Special Fund be used for the maintenance of internet websites on which works of art are publicly displayed;
(5) Requiring recorded works of art be displayed at presentation sites, rather than internet websites;
(6) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2065, to promote further discussion; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Culture, Arts, & International Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 760, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 760, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Culture, Arts, & International Affairs,
CEDRIC ASUEGA GATES, Chair