STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1595
RE: H.B. No. 753
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 753, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SCHOOL IMPACT FEES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to amend the State's school impact fee law:
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Exempts housing developed by the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands from school impact fees for three years;
(2) Authorizes construction cost component impact fees to be used to improve or renovate existing structures for school use; and
(3) Repeals a requirement that an expenditure plan for all collected impact fees be incorporated into the Department of Education's annual budget process.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Hawaiian Affairs Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from Land Use Research Foundation of Hawaii.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Education and Tax Foundation of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that exempting housing developed by the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands from school impact fees will help make more housing available for beneficiaries of the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Repealing a statutory prohibition against expending construction cost component impact fees for portable or temporary facilities; and
(2) Changing the effective date to:
(A) Make the measure effective upon its approval; and
(B) Provide that section 302A-1603(b), Hawaii Revised Statutes, upon its repeal, shall be reenacted in the form in which it read before the effective date of the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 753, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 753, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair