STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1700
RE: H.B. No. 546
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 546, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to amend the organizational structure of the Department of Education.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires public school complex area superintendents to report directly to the Superintendent of Education; and
(2) Appropriates funds for the Department of Education.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from one individual.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Hawaii Government Employees Association.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Education and one individual.
Your Committee finds that this measure will streamline communication between complex area superintendents and the Superintendent of Education.
Your Committee has amended this measure by adding a new part that redistributes certain moneys and positions that are subject to budget and position reductions made to the Department of Education in the General Appropriations Act. Specifically, these amendments statutorily establish a reorganization, which is informed by a 2015 organizational chart by the Department of Education, to redeploy:
(1) Of the fifty-five permanent full-time equivalent (55.0 FTE) positions and eight temporary full-time equivalent (8.0 FTE) positions being eliminated from the Office of Strategy, Innovation, and Performance, thirty-seven permanent full-time equivalent (37.0 FTE) positions and four temporary full-time equivalent (4.0 FTE) positions are redeployed pursuant to part II of this measure;
(2) Of the one hundred sixty-one permanent full-time equivalent (161.0 FTE) positions and one temporary full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position being eliminated from the Office of Information Technology Services, one hundred forty-three full-time equivalent (143.0 FTE) positions are redeployed pursuant to part II of this measure; and
(3) Of the nineteen permanent full-time equivalent (19.0 FTE) equity specialist II positions from the Civil Rights Compliance Branch of the Office of Talent Management, nineteen permanent full-time equivalent (19.0 FTE) equity specialist II positions are redeployed pursuant to part II of this measure.
Your Committee notes that the following organizational chart graphically depicts how the affected positions will be deployed under the reorganization:
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 546, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 546, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair