STAND. COM. REP. NO. 890
RE: H.B. No. 529
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 529 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RESIDENTIAL REAL PROPERTY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize county police and planning or permitting agencies to enter privately owned residential real property, under certain specified conditions, to address imminent threats to health or safety or violations of county zoning laws; and
(2) Establish penalties for violations.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Maui Police Department. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of the Attorney General, Waikiki Neighborhood Board, and one individual.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that county police and planning or permitting agencies may enter privately owned residential real property to address imminent threats to health or safety or violations of county zoning laws that threaten health or safety;
(2) Adding occupation of a residence or structure by a number of persons that exceeds what is allowed to the list of conditions that constitute an imminent threat to health or safety;
(3) Clarifying the process for unaddressed county zoning violations;
(4) Changing the minimum daily fine amount to $1,000; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 529, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 529, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair