STAND. COM. REP. NO. 796
RE: H.B. No. 337
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 337, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the language and meaning of any proposed constitutional amendment and ratification question to be simple, concise, and direct to the extent practicable;
(2) Allow the presiding officers of the Legislature to request a written opinion of the Supreme Court regarding the legality of a proposed amendment to the Hawaii State Constitution and the corresponding constitutional ratification question;
(3) Require the Court to provide a written opinion within forty-eight hours of receipt of the request;
(4) Require, for any written opinion by the Court that invalidates a constitutional ratification question, a detailed and specific explanation of the reasons for this opinion; and
(5) Prohibit any appeal of a written opinion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 337, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair