STAND. COM. REP. NO. 377
RE: H.B. No. 327
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 327, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Convene a Sustainable Aviation Fuel Task Force within the Hawaii State Energy Office to develop a state action plan to reduce the greenhouse gas intensity of international air transportation from Hawaii; and
(2) Require the Task Force and Hawaii State Energy Office to submit reports to the Legislature.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Office of Planning, Climate Protectors Hawaii, Imua Alliance, 350Hawaii.org, and five individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Hawaii State Energy Office.
Your Committee finds that many of the requirements and renewable energy goals of the State have been focused on the electricity and ground transportation sectors as sources of greenhouse gas emissions. However, not much regard has been given to emissions from other forms of transportation or other major economic drivers. Developing an action plan to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions generated by other forms of transportation, such as air transportation, will contribute to a holistic plan of action for Hawaii regarding policy, technology, funding, and facilitation of public and private actions on climate change mitigation.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Extending the timeframe for the task force to submit its interim and final reports by one year;
(2) Specifying that the task force shall cease to exist on June 30, 2024; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 327, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 327, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair