STAND. COM. REP. NO. 43
RE: H.B. No. 313
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, Human Services, & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 313 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PHYSICIAN WORKFORCE ASSESSMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Repeal the requirement that no less than fifty percent of the assessment fees deposited into the John A. Burns School of Medicine Special Fund be used for purposes identified by the Hawaii Medical Education Council;
(2) Repeal the monetary cap of expenditures from the John A. Burns School of Medicine Special Fund; and
(3) Authorize the John A. Burns School of Medicine Special Fund to award scholarships for qualifying medical students and provide loan repayment to physicians who commit to working in medically underserved areas of the State as part of the Health Care Provider Loan Repayment Program.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the University of Hawaii System, Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, Hawaii Primary Care Association, The Queen's Health Systems, and one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Hawaii Medical Board.
Your Committee finds that the State is facing a severe physician shortage, particularly in rural or medically underserved areas, that will only worsen if action is not taken to correct the issue. Your Committee believes that expanding the use of funding received through the existing physician workforce assessment will give the State the flexibility to act rapidly on tangible solutions to the ongoing physician workforce shortage.
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2060, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health, Human Services, & Homelessness that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 313, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 313, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Higher Education & Technology.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health, Human Services, & Homelessness,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair