STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1664
RE: H.B. No. 1284
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 1284, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to require certain health insurance providers to provide administrative data to the Department of Human Services health analytics program.
More specifically, this measure:
(A) Health insurance providers that provide health benefits plans funded by the Hawaii employer-union health benefits trust fund, the state Medicaid agency, or both;
(B) Health insurance providers that provide Medicare Advantage (Medicare part C) health benefits plans; and
(C) Other health insurance providers, upon request,
to provide certain administrative data to the Department of Human Services health analytics program;
(2) Authorizes the health analytics program to contract with entities for the analysis of all-claims, all-payer administrative data collected pursuant to this measure;
(3) Requires the health analytics program to develop and update an annual plan for the analysis, maintenance, and publication of all-claims, all-payer administrative data collected pursuant to this measure;
(4) Prohibits the re-identification of subjects of protected health information from the all-claims, all-payer administrative data;
(5) Prohibits the disclosure of all-claims, all-payer administrative data containing personal identifiers;
(6) Authorizes the health analytics program or its designee to acquire federal Medicare data sets specific to the State and made available to the states, and requires all public agencies possessing these data sets to share the data with the health analytics program or its designee at no additional cost to the health analytics program or its designee; and
(7) Requires the health analytics program to submit an annual report to the Legislature.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Human Services, Hawaii Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund, and Health Committee of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that the all-claims, all-payer database and data center is a vital source of information used by several state departments and agencies for program planning. Your Committee recognizes that the Department of Human Services has noted that a steering committee has been convened to oversee and provide direction for the database and data center. Your Committee believes that due to the importance of the database and the data center, it is appropriate to codify in statute the establishment of the steering committee.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting its contents and inserting language that provides for the establishment of an all-claims, all-payer data center steering committee to oversee and provide direction for the all-claims, all-payer database and data center; and
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1284, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1284, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair