Speaker, House of Representatives
State of Hawaii
(1) Require the Department of Agriculture to allow for the permitted importation of northern largemouth bass and butterfly peacock bass into Hawaii; and
(2) Require the Division of Aquatic Resources of the Department of Land and Natural Resources to establish a pilot project to restock the Wahiawa public fishing area in central Oahu with northern largemouth bass, butterfly peacock bass, or both.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Wahiawa Community Based Development Organization dba Wahiawa Fresh!, Hawaii Freshwater Fishing Association, and four individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Coordinating Group on Alien Pest Species. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and Department of Agriculture.
Your Committee finds that this measure would bring environmental benefits to Lake Wilson and economic benefits to the surrounding Wahiawa community.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the requirement that the Department of Agriculture allow for the permitted importation of northern largemouth bass and butterfly peacock bass into Hawaii;
(2) Removing the requirement that the Division of Aquatic Resources, through its own resources, establish the pilot project;
(3) Requiring the Division of Aquatic Resources to apply to the Department of Agriculture for the permit to import the northern largemouth bass and work with another public entity or partner with a private entity to accomplish the pilot project;
(4) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1274, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1274, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
DAVID A. TARNAS, Chair