STAND. COM. REP. NO. 8
RE: H.B. No. 116
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred H.B. No. 116 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENERGY EFFICIENCY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Authorize the Chief Energy Officer of the Hawaii State Energy Office to adopt rules to enforce minimum efficiency standards for certain products and establish or amend appliance efficiency standards in certain situations; and
(2) Regulate the appliance efficiency standards for air purifiers and portable electric spas.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Public Utilities Commission, Blue Planet Foundation, Hawai‘i Energy, Appliance Standards Awareness Project, Pool & Hot Tub Alliance, and one individual. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Hawaii State Energy Office and Plumbing Manufacturers International.
Your Committee finds that the State has established minimum energy and water efficiency standards for certain products sold, leased, or rented in the State that promote and encourage energy efficiency. Expanding the list of products requiring minimum efficiency standards can help save millions of dollars on utility bills annually and offer additional benefits for Hawaii residents, local businesses, the environment, and economy.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the definition of "showerhead" to match the definition within the California Code of Regulations;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 116, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 116, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
NICOLE E. LOWEN, Chair