STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1248
RE: H.B. No. 1130
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water and Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 1130, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TRANSIT-ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Require the Office of Planning to hire a contractor to, among other things, identify and assess alternative financing, project delivery, and cost recovery mechanisms to recapture the State's upfront investment in transit-oriented development (TOD) infrastructure;
(2) Require the contractor to consult with representatives of certain governmental entities in conducting the study;
(3) Require the Office of Planning to report to the Legislature on its findings and recommendations; and
(4) Authorize the issuance of general obligation bonds.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Office of Planning; Hawaii Interagency Council for Transit-Oriented Development; and Stanford Carr Development, LLC.
Your Committee finds that this measure is intended to facilitate the realization of transit-oriented development in compact, mixed-use communities in Hawaii. According to testimony received by your Committee, infrastructure deficits are one of the biggest barriers to achieving transit-oriented development statewide. This measure provides the greater analysis needed to determine and refine appropriate methods for financing and investing in TOD-serving infrastructure necessary in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the Director of the Office of Planning is to be consulted with in conducting the study;
(2) Making it effective upon its approval; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water and Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1130, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1130, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water and Land,
LORRAINE R. INOUYE, Chair