THIRTIETH LEGISLATURE, 2019
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO OHANA ZONES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Act 209, Session Laws of Hawaii 2018, is amended by amending subsection (b) of section 3 to read as follows:
"(b) The governor shall designate executive branch
agencies to develop and implement the ohana zones pilot program, including an
agency with specific expertise in construction development and an agency with
specific expertise in administering homeless services. The governor, through the governor's
designated agencies, shall determine the number and locations of the ohana
zones, which shall be situated on public lands; provided that the designated
agencies shall identify at least [
three] six sites on Oahu and
one site on each of the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui[ .];
provided further that the designated agencies shall identify at least two sites
on each of the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui, if the ohana zones pilot
program capacity permits."
SECTION 2. Act 209, Session Laws of Hawaii 2018, is amended by amending section 4 as follows:
1. By amending subsection (b) to read:
"(b) The agencies designated by the governor shall
no later than December 31, 2018,] the following:
(1) The criteria that the agencies will use to evaluate potential ohana zone locations;
(2) A monthly timetable of milestones that the agencies expect to meet in establishing one or more ohana zones over the course of the three-year pilot program;
(3) The specific, measurable, attainable, reasonable, and time-based performance measures that the agencies expect to meet at the end of each fiscal year;
(4) The evaluation criteria and process that the agencies intend to use each year when reviewing the success and sustainability of the ohana zones; and
(5) The monitoring and oversight controls that the agencies will have over the ohana zones to identify, address, and prevent possible fraud, waste, and abuse and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws."
2. By amending subsections (e) and (f) to read:
"(e) The reports submitted no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the regular sessions of 2020 and 2021 shall include the following information:
(1) The milestones established pursuant to subsection (b) that were met by the agencies designated by the governor pursuant to the ohana zones pilot program and ohana zones established during the fiscal year;
(2) An evaluation of the ohana zones to determine whether the objectives set have been met or exceeded;
(3) Any proposed
changes that need to be made to the performance measures used to assess the
achievement of program goals; [
(4) An assessment of
the impact of the ohana zone model on the homelessness problem in Hawaii[
(5) An evaluation of the ohana zones to determine what ultra-low cost modular housing would be best suited for permanent supportive housing; and
(6) An evaluation of the ohana zones to determine whether there are off-the-grid infrastructure technologies that can provide drinking water, electricity, and process sewage, without existing infrastructure.
(f) The pilot program shall cease to exist three
years from the contract execution date or on June 30, [
whichever is later."
SECTION 3. There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $500,000 or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2019-2020 and the same sum or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2020-2021 for the ohana zones pilot program, including expenses related to staffing, facility construction, provision of services, and administrative costs.
The sums appropriated shall be expended by the department of human services for the purposes of this Act; provided that:
(1) The department of human services shall transfer the expenditure authority to designated executive branch departments or agencies within a reasonable time; and
(2) A designated executive branch department or agency with expenditure authority may provide a direct grant to a nonprofit organization based in an ohana zone; provided that fifty per cent of the amount over which the department or agency has expenditure authority shall be distributed first to nonprofit organizations based in an ohana zone.
SECTION 4. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 5. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
DHS; Homelessness; Housing; Ohana Zones Pilot Program; Appropriation
Increases the number of ohana zone sites on Oahu from 3 to 6. Increases the number of ohana zones on the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui, if the ohana zones pilot program capacity permits. Requires that additional information be included in the reports submitted no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the regular sessions of 2020 and 2021. Provides additional time for the implementation of the ohana zones pilot program. Appropriates funds to the Department of Human Services for the ohana zones pilot program. Effective 7/1/2050. (SD2)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.