STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3016
RE: S.B. No. 3175
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 3175 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE HEALTH INSURANCE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to provide funding for services and initiatives under the state health insurance assistance program.
Specifically, the measure appropriates:
(1) $100,000 for service contracts to partner with the medical community, such as federally qualified health centers that currently serve older individuals;
(2) $100,000 for staffing contracts to provide additional support to the program's two full-time staff; and
(3) $75,000 for volunteer recruitment and retention, including developing and airing public service announcements and other print and digital media to promote the program.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Health, and five individuals.
You Committee received written comments on the measure from the Executive Office on Aging.
Your Committee finds that the funds appropriated by this measure will enable the state health insurance assistance program to expand and continue its mission to empower Hawaii seniors to make informed health care benefit decisions.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation amounts to unspecified amounts;
(2) Replacing the Department of Health as the expending agency with the Executive Office on Aging;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(4) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 3175, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 3175, S.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair