STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3105
RE: S.B. No. 3143
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 3143, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PROCUREMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to promote procurement efficiency, program success, and government accountability.
Specifically, the measure:
(1) Requires the State Procurement Office and the Public Works Division of the Department of Accounting and General Services to develop a ten-year pilot program to enable innovative methods of procurement;
(2) Authorizes and appropriate moneys for the State Procurement Administrator to establish and fill one exempt innovative project delivery officer position for the duration of the pilot program; and
(3) Requires the State Procurement Office and the Public Works Division of the Department of Accounting and General Services to submit biennial reports to the Legislature.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Accounting and General Services, State Procurement Office, Office of Planning, and Hawaii Interagency Council for Transit-Oriented Development.
Your Committee finds that training and guidance are necessary to ensure proper procurement practices and management. Your Committee believes that a pilot program that offers relevant advisory, governance, and management services to state agencies may be an appropriate vehicle to achieve these goals.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the appropriation is for fiscal year 2020-2021;
(2) Changing the appropriation from $85,000 to an unspecified amount to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 3143, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 3143, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair