STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3011
RE: S.B. No. 3139
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 3139 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE BUDGET,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to amend portions of the budget for the Executive Branch for the fiscal biennium beginning July 1, 2019, and ending June 30, 2021.
Specifically, this measure amends:
(1) The amounts appropriated and capital improvement projects authorized by Act 40, Session Laws of Hawaii 2019; and
(2) The amounts appropriated and operating and capital improvement grants authorized by Act 39, Session Laws of Hawaii 2019.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources; Department of Hawaiian Home Lands; Department of Human Services; Department of Budget and Finance; Department of Public Safety; Department of Accounting and General Services; Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Department of Defense; Department of Education; Department of Agriculture; Department of Transportation; Department of Health; Hawaii Health Systems Corporation; Hawaii Public Housing Authority; Office of Enterprise Technology Services; Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority; Hawaii State Public Library System; and one individual.
Your Committee received comments on this measure from the University of Hawaii.
Your Committee intends for this measure to provide a vehicle to appropriate additional funds for capital improvement projects and operating and capital improvement grants that the Legislature determines are warranted.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amounts appropriated by part II of the measure to the base amounts established by Act 40, Session Laws of Hawaii 2019;
(2) Changing the amounts authorized for capital improvement projects in part III of the measure to the base amounts established by Act 40, Session Laws of Hawaii 2019; and
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 3139, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 3139, S.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair