STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1263-20
RE: S.B. No. 3117
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 3117, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOMELESSNESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Extend the Emergency Department Homelessness Assessment Pilot Program and Medical Respite Pilot Program (Pilot Programs) to December 31, 2021; and
(2) Appropriate funds to continue the Pilot Programs, subject to certain conditions.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from The Queen's Health Systems. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness and Department of Human Services.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Limiting the extension of the Pilot Programs to June 30, 2021, rather than December 31, 2021;
(2) Deleting the appropriations for fiscal year 2020-2021 for the Pilot Programs;
(3) Specifying that funds appropriated for the Pilot Programs pursuant to Act 209, Session Laws of Hawaii 2018, that were not expended or encumbered by June 30, 2019, shall lapse on June 30, 2021;
(4) Making it effective retroactively to June 29, 2019; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 3117, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 3117, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair