STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3397
RE: S.B. No. 2946
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2946, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to address the State's housing crisis.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes the ALOHA homes program to develop low-cost homes on state-owned and county-owned land in urban redevelopment sites to be sold in leasehold by the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to qualified residents;
(2) Exempts from the definition of "public lands", lands that are set aside by the Governor to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation or leased to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation by any department or agency of the State;
(3) Requires legislative approval before the disposal of lands that are set aside by the Governor to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation or leased to the Hawaii Housing Finance Development Corporation by any department or agency of the State;
(4) Requires the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to develop an ALOHA homes demonstration project by July 1, 2025; and
(5) Appropriates funds into and out of the ALOHA homes revolving fund.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii Kai Homeless Task Force, Church of the Crossroads, Maui Chamber of Commerce, Catholic Charities Hawaii, Faith Action for Community Equity, Environmental Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Young Progressives Demanding Action, and four individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Department of the Attorney General, Department of Budget and Finance, Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Department of Planning and Permitting of the City and County of Honolulu, Hawaiian Affairs Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and one individual.
Your Committee finds that the high cost of housing and lack of housing inventory in the State create significant challenges for Hawaii residents. Your Committee further finds that the amount of new construction for housing continues to be inadequate, especially for low- to middle-income families.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the minimum number of days that unauthorized persons may be prevented from accessing an ALOHA home shall be determined by the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation by rule;
(2) Replacing the term "local governing body" with "county council" for the purpose of clarity;
(3) Correcting cross-references to a new subpart in part II of Chapter 201H, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(4) Removing redundant language that provides for the treatment of certain lands for purposes of section 5 of Act 178, Session Laws of Hawaii 2006; and
(5) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2946, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2946, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair