STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3309
RE: S.B. No. 2647
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2647, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to increase access to housing for section 8 voucher holders.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes the landlord incentive program special fund to reimburse land owners who participate in the section 8 housing choice voucher program for repair costs of tenant-caused property damage when the repair costs exceed the tenant's security deposit; and
(2) Appropriates moneys into and out of the landlord incentive program special fund.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii Public Housing Authority and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance.
Your Committee finds that some landlords in the State are reluctant to lease their units to section 8 voucher holders, leaving many families with no choice but to return the voucher that they waited many years to receive. Your Committee further finds that the landlord incentive program special fund established by this measure will assist some of the State's most vulnerable families in finding suitable permanent housing.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amount appropriated into and out of the landlord incentive program special fund from $450,000 to an unspecified sum;
(2) Deleting an unnecessary provision that would only apply to the repeal of statutory material; and
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2647, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2647, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair