STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1041-20
RE: S.B. No. 2573
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Lower & Higher Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2573, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII BOARD OF REGENTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) By May 1, 2021, begin livestreaming audio and archiving on its website all Board of Regents standing committee meetings;
(2) By September 1, 2021, begin livestreaming video and archiving on its website all regular meetings of the Board of Regents; and
(3) Determine its obligations and best practices that should be implemented to comply with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act in regard to the accessibility of webcasting and video streaming of Board of Regents meetings.
Your Committee finds the public meetings of the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii serve to keep the public informed of the actions of the Board. However, the availability of the public to attend the meetings may be restricted, especially if individuals who wish to attend the meetings are unable to do so because meetings are held outside of the island of their residence. This measure will require the use of technology to broadcast and record the public meetings of the Board and allow the public to listen and view the meetings, even when they are unable to attend in person.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requiring the Board of Regents to archive and make available to the public digital audio recordings of its standing committee meetings one week, rather than seventy-two hours, after adjournment of the meetings;
(2) Requiring the Board of Regents to archive and make available to the public recorded webcasts of its regular meetings one week, rather than seventy-two hours, after adjournment of the meetings;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Lower & Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2573, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2573, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Lower & Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair