STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3344
RE: S.B. No. 2548
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2548, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO MARINE DEBRIS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to reduce the amount of human-made marine debris found abandoned in the ocean.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation within the Department of Land and Natural Resources to implement a pilot project to encourage the collection of man-made marine debris, including establishment of a collection center that pays fifty cents per pound for eligible marine debris;
(2) Appropriates $200,000 to the Department of Land and Natural Resources for the creation and implementation of a pilot program for the collection of man-made marine debris; and
(3) Appropriates $200,000 to the University of Hawaii for the Water Resources Research Center to research and develop specialized equipment for the effective and efficient removal of plastic marine debris from beaches and shorelines.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Hawaii County Council, Climate Protectors Coalition, Hawaii Reef and Ocean Coalition, Hawaii Food Industry Association, and four individuals.
Your Committee finds that this measure complements existing efforts to remove large types of human-made marine debris from the State's shoreline and nearshore waters by creating a stronger incentive for members of the public to participate in the removal of these types of marine debris. Your Committee further finds that this measure aligns with the State's policy to protect and minimize adverse impacts on the State's coastal ecosystems.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriations to unspecified amounts;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2548, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2548, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair