STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1223-20
RE: S.B. No. 2500
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Economic Development & Business and Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred S.B. No. 2500, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HAWAII TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Appropriate funds to the Hawaii Technology Development Corporation for the Hawaii Small Business Innovation Research Program, Manufacturing Assistance Program, and Excelerator Program; provided that the Hawaii Technology Development Corporation has encumbered certain previously appropriated funds; and
(2) Establish and appropriate funds for a working group to develop a strategic plan for a climate innovation technology park to be located at Coconut Island and to recommend other opportunities for the State to invest in technology to combat climate change.
Your Committees find that manufacturing is critical to the State's economy. Your Committees further find that the Hawaii Technology Development Corporation is a key state agency in the development and support of Hawaii's manufacturing industry. The Small Business Innovation Research Program, Manufacturing Assistance Program, and Excelerator Program were created by the Legislature and have been very successful in supporting the manufacturing industry and providing jobs in the State. This measure appropriates funds to continue to support these programs.
Your Committees further find that with the decimation of the visitor market because of COVID-19, many island manufacturing businesses were able to hold on due to their ability to generate internet sales and export to out-of-state markets. As such, further aggressive investment into these programs will help to make these resources available to more of the State's manufacturing businesses in their efforts to expand their market beyond the in-state visitor market.
Your Committees additionally find that climate change will continue to have serious impacts on Hawaii's environment and on environments around the world. The establishment of a working group to develop a strategic plan for a climate innovation technology park at Coconut Island will move Hawaii to the forefront in combating climate change.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Rearranging the members of the working group to clarify the mandatory members and invited members of the working group;
(2) Requiring the working group to submit its strategic plan and other recommended opportunities for the State to invest in technology to combat climate change, including any proposed legislation, to the Legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2021; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Economic Development & Business and Energy & Environmental Protection that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2500, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2500, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Economic Development & Business and Energy & Environmental Protection,
NICOLE E. LOWEN, Chair
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair