STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3212
RE: S.B. No. 2417
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2417, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SUSTAINABILITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to recognize the importance of the State's natural resources.
Specifically, this measure requires:
(1) The Department of Land and Natural Resources to recognize that:
(A) Game mammals and game birds can provide a sustainable food source when properly managed in appropriate areas; and
(B) The State's unique relationship with the ocean requires careful consideration and management of land and ocean activities that prioritize the public trust responsibilities of the State;
(2) Each department, office, or agency of the State to update its rules and policies to integrate the local hunting and fishing industries into any food security or sustainability strategies that the department, office, or agency employs; and
(3) The head of each principal department of the State to submit to the Legislature reports on the progress of that department, and any agency administratively attached to that department, in updating its rules and policies.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii Hunting Association, Hawaii County Game Management Advisory Commission, and numerous individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and Office of Hawaiian Affairs.
Your Committee finds that hunting and fishing provide food for many people in the State. Your Committee further finds that game mammals must be properly managed to minimize their impacts on sensitive watershed areas.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the updated rules and policies established pursuant to the measure shall be consistent with section 183D-2, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(2) Correcting an internal cross-reference;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(4) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2417, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2417, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair