STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1167-20
RE: S.B. No. 2417
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred S.B. No. 2417, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SUSTAINABILITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the Department of Land and Natural Resources to recognize that:
(A) Game mammals and game birds can provide a sustainable food source when properly managed in appropriate areas; and
(B) The State's unique relationship with the ocean requires careful consideration and management of land and ocean activities that prioritize the public trust responsibilities of the State;
(2) Require each department, office, or agency of the State to update its rules and policies to integrate the local hunting and fishing industries into any food security or sustainability strategies that the department, office, or agency employs; and
(3) Require the head of each principal department of the State to submit a report to the Legislature on the progress of that department, and any agency administrative attached to that department, in updating its rules and policies.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Hawaii County Game Management Advisory Commission and numerous individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and Hawaii Hunting Association.
Your Committee finds that game mammals and birds are sustainable food resources that provide food, water, and refuge and support hunting and that game populations should be managed to reduce any negative impacts and provide environmental and cultural benefits. Your Committee also finds that the State should carefully consider and manage land and ocean activities that prioritize the State's public trust responsibilities. Your Committee further finds that the Department of Land and Natural Resources should similarly recognize these positions in its management of the State's natural resources.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that game mammals and game birds provide a sustainable food source and play a role in native Hawaiian traditional and customary practices and that striking the right balance between the management of game mammal and game bird populations and sustainability of their natural habitats to reduce negative impacts to important watershed areas is a priority; and
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2051, to encourage further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2417, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2417, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair