STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1273-20
RE: S.B. No. 2386
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2386, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO WASTE MANAGEMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Prohibit any waste or disposal facility from being located in a conservation district except in emergency circumstances to mitigate significant risks to public safety and health;
(2) Require no less than a one-half mile buffer zone around residences, schools, and hospitals for the construction, modification, or expansion of a waste or disposal facility; and
(3) Specify that "waste or disposal facility" excludes individual, state certified, non-industrial redemption centers.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs; Ke One O Kakuhihewa; Democratic Party of Hawaii Labor Caucus; ILWU Local 142; Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs; Kalihi Palama Hawaiian Civic Club; Prince Kuhio Hawaiian Civic Club; Hawaii State Teachers Association; Hawaii Labor Coalition; Young Progressives Demanding Action; Iron Workers Stabilization Fund; United Food & Commercial Workers Union Local 480; IATSE Local 665; Pride at Work-Hawaii; LGBT Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Hawaii Teamsters & Allied Workers Local 996; Sierra Club of Hawaii; Waialua Hawaiian Civic Club; SAG-AFTRA; Reynolds Recycling, Inc.; Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs – Hawaii Council; Koolauloa Hawaiian Civic Club; Moku o Manokalanipo; The Kauai Council of the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs; International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers; Na Hono Ao Piilani, Maui Council of the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs; and numerous individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Office of the Mayor of the County of Maui; County of Kauai Department of Public Works; PVT Land Company, Ltd; Building Industry Association-Hawaii; Pacific Research Partnership; General Contractors Association of Hawaii; West Oahu Aggregate Co. Inc.; Penhall Co. dba Concrete Coring Company of Hawaii; Tajiri Demolition and Disposal; RHS Lee Inc.; Hawaii Association of Environmental Contractors; Clean Energy Solutions; Enviro Services and Training Center; CHFour LLC dba BANAGAS PACIFIC; Waianae Coast Community Foundation; Hawaii BioEconomy Trade Organization; Healy Tibbitts Builders, Inc.; Ralph S. Inouye Co, Ltd; Pacific Commercial Services LLC; Rainbow Waste Services; Island Hauling Inc.; Henry's Equipment Rental & Sales, Inc.; Jayar Construction, Inc.; Paling & Sons Trucking and Equipment Rentals LLC; and two individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Health and Koolau Foundation.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Making inapplicable to federal agencies the prohibition on construction, operation, modification, expansion, or closure of a municipal solid waste landfill unit without first obtaining a permit from the Director of Health;
(2) Making inapplicable to federal agencies the prohibition on construction, modification, or expansion of a waste or disposal facility or construction and demolition landfill unit without a one-half mile buffer zone around residences, schools, and hospitals;
(3) Making it effective upon approval; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2386, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2386, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair