STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1265-20
RE: S.B. No. 2329
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2329, S.D. 2, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO IGNITION INTERLOCK DEVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to reduce incidents of driving under the influence of an intoxicant by:
(1) Requiring proof of compliance with ignition interlock laws to be eligible for a driver's license;
(2) Requiring persons operating a vehicle with an ignition interlock device to have valid government-issued photo identification in their immediate possession;
(3) Amending the sentencing requirements for:
(A) Operating a vehicle after license and privilege have been suspended or revoked for operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant; and
(B) Circumvention of, or tampering with, an ignition interlock device by a person who has been restricted to operating a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device; and
(4) Prohibiting a person who is restricted to driving a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device from knowingly obscuring a camera lens associated with the device.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility, Traffic Injury Research Foundation, Smart Start LLC, and Casanova Powell Consulting. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Transportation and Department of the Prosecuting Attorney of the City and County of Honolulu.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting a savings clause; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2329, S.D. 2, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2329, S.D. 2, H.D. 3.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair