STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1258-20
RE: S.B. No. 2275
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2275, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO NOTARIAL ACTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Outlines the instances in which notaries public may refuse to perform notarial acts;
(2) Authorizes notaries public to perform notarial acts for persons not in the physical presence of the notaries public and outlines the manner in which notaries public may perform such notarial acts, including through the use of authorized technologies and electronic stamping;
(3) Clarifies the validity of notarial acts and the circumstances when notarial acts may not be performed;
(4) Clarifies the retention of records; and
(5) Makes various clarifying amendments to conform to national standards and practices.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of the Attorney General, Hawaii Bankers Association, Mortgage Bankers Association of Hawaii, and Hawaii Credit Union League. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the State of Hawaii Commission to Promote Uniform Legislation and First American Title Insurance Company.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to January 1, 2021; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2275, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2275, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair