STAND. COM. REP. NO. 905-20
RE: H.B. No. 2751
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2751, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FINANCIAL HARDSHIP,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Expand the conditions for authorizing a restricted driver's license or instruction permit, other than a commercial driver's license;
(2) Provide judges with greater discretion to adjust the amount owed by a person who violates certain traffic offenses based on the person's inability to pay;
(3) Increase the amount of credit given to a contumacious person committed for nonpayment;
(4) Permit persons to pay for their motor vehicle registration and associated taxes and fees on a biannual basis;
(5) Restrict the amount of any delinquent tax due to the current tax due plus one year; and
(6) Remove language allowing storage costs and costs incident to seizure of a vehicle from inclusion in the amount the owner of a vehicle must pay in order to redeem the vehicle after seizure.
Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Department of Customer Services of the City and County of Honolulu. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Judiciary, Department of Transportation, and Office of the Public Defender.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2751, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair