STAND. COM. REP. NO. 686-20
RE: H.B. No. 2736
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Judiciary and Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 2736 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FIREARMS AMMUNITION,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Licensure of sellers of ammunition; and
(2) Gun owners to show their firearms registrations and identification when purchasing ammunition for the permitted firearms.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Honolulu Police Department, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, and two individuals. Your Committees received testimony in opposition to this measure from the National Rifle Association of America, Hawaii Firearms Coalition, Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club, Young Guns, Hawaii Hunting Association, and over one hundred individuals. Your Committees received comments on this measure from the County of Hawaii Office of the Mayor and one individual.
Your Committees find that requiring gun owners to show their firearm registrations and identification in order to be able to purchase ammunition will limit the ability of those who possess firearms illegally to get ammunition.
(1) Exempting ammunition purchases by persons from a firing range business or target shooting business from the proof of registration and identification requirements;
(2) Authorizing a registered owner of a firearm to designate an alternate person, instead of only a spouse, to purchase ammunition for up to three years at a time, unless the alternate person is prohibited from ownership or possession of a firearm;
(3) Requiring the alternate person designated to purchase ammunition to complete a similar background check required to obtain a firearm permit;
(4) Allowing a registered owner of a firearm to obtain a permit, for up to three years at a time, to purchase ammunition of a caliber that is not the caliber listed on the registered firearm if the owner demonstrates to the police that the firearm is capable of firing a caliber of ammunition that is not the caliber listed on the registration of the firearm;
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Judiciary and Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2736, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2736, H.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Judiciary and Public Safety, Veterans, & Military Affairs,
GREGG TAKAYAMA, Chair
CHRIS LEE, Chair