STAND. COM. REP. NO. 65-20
RE: H.B. No. 2695
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Lower & Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2695 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CHARTER SCHOOLS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorizers' reporting and audit requirements;
(2) Authorizers' responsibilities in reviewing charter applications; and
(3) The performance framework requirements for charter schools.
Your Committee finds that this measure will provide greater flexibility to the authorizers and charter schools in preparation of the annual audits of the charter schools by no longer requiring the charter schools to select from a list of three independent auditors. Your Committee further finds that giving authorizers the opportunity to provide flexibility for charter schools in selecting an independent auditor will better serve the State's interest.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the provisions amending the authorizers' reporting requirements, authorizers' responsibilities in reviewing charter applications, and performance framework requirements for charter schools;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050;
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Lower & Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2695, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2695, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Labor & Public Employment.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Lower & Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair