STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3463
RE: H.B. No. 2532
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture and Environment, to which was referred H.B. No. 2532, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO INVASIVE SPECIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Appropriate funds to mitigate and control the two-lined spittlebug and to fund recovery efforts; and
(2) Require the Department of Agriculture to submit a report to the Legislature, before the convening of the regular session of 2021, on its expenditure of funds and the progress of funded activities.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources; Department of Agriculture; a member of the Hawaii County Council; Mayor of the County of Hawaii; Hawaii Cattlemen's Council, Inc.; Land Use Research Foundation of Hawaii; Ulupono Initiative; Hawai‘i Farm Bureau; Local Food Coalition; Hawaii Aquaculture and Aquaponics Association; Kealia Ranch; Kukaiau Ranch; Hawaii Meats, LLC; Ponoholo Ranch Limited; Larry Jefts Farms, LLC; Palani Ranch; and eleven individuals.
Your Committee finds that as of October of 2019, two-lined spittlebugs have infested over 222 square miles or 142,468 acres of key pastures used by the livestock ranching industry. Your Committee further finds that the damage from this invasive species does not allow for regrowth and requires ranchers to replant affected pastures, thereby threatening the local livestock ranching industry. Thus, your Committee finds that action is necessary to mitigate and control the two-lined spittlebug.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting an appropriation amount of $1,000,000;
(2) Inserting an effective date of July 1, 2020; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture and Environment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2532, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2532, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture and Environment,
MIKE GABBARD, Chair