STAND. COM. REP. NO. 379-20
RE: H.B. No. 2288
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 2288 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING APPROPRIATIONS FOR CLAIMS AGAINST THE STATE, ITS OFFICERS, OR ITS EMPLOYEES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to satisfy several claims against the State, its officers, or its employees.
Your Committee finds that the Department of the Attorney General testified that it has advised its client agencies on how to avoid claims such as those included in this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Appropriating $130,000 in general funds for a settlement in the case of Zhang v. State of Hawaii, et al., Civil No. 19-1-0824-05, First Circuit;
(2) Appropriating $809.11 in general funds for a claim by Kathleen A. Kehlor Harper;
(3) Appropriating $866.75 in general funds for a claim by John and Deborah Mar;
(4) Appropriating $578.40 in general funds for a claim by Judith Ross;
(5) Appropriating $289.20 in general funds for a claim by Barbara H. Ursal;
(6) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2288, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2288, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
CHRIS LEE, Chair