STAND. COM. REP. NO. 440-20
RE: H.B. No. 2250
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Lower & Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2250 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII PROMISE PROGRAM PLUS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Establish the University of Hawaii Promise Program Plus to provide scholarships for the unmet direct cost needs of qualified students enrolled in bachelor's degree programs in teaching, health care, social work, or engineering at the University of Hawaii who commit to work for at least three years in Hawaii; and
(2) Appropriate funds for its establishment, implementation, and management.
Your Committee received testimony support of this measure from Kamehameha Schools, University of Hawaii Alumni Association, and one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Executive Office on Early Learning, Department of Education, University of Hawaii System, Associated Students of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, and Chamber of Commerce Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that the Community College Promise Program has assisted a number of students attend community colleges; however, many students accepted to enter the University of Hawaii's four-year campuses lack sufficient financial resources to go on to earn their bachelor's degree. Your Committee further finds that there are current and projected job shortages in the fields of teaching, health care, social work, and engineering and that Hawaii's resources should be targeted toward meeting these needs. This measure seeks to address those job shortages and help fund the education of students attending the University of Hawaii's four-year campuses by establishing the University of Hawaii Promise Program Plus to provide scholarships to University of Hawaii students pursuing a bachelor's degree in teaching, health care, social work, or engineering.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amount of funding for the one full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position to manage the University of Hawaii Promise Program Plus to an unspecified amount;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
Should your Committee on Finance decide to hear this measure, your Committee respectfully requests that it consider appropriating funds for the University of Hawaii Promise Program Plus, including $100,000 for one full-time equivalent (1.0 FTE) position to manage the Program.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Lower & Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2250, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2250, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Lower & Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair