STAND. COM. REP. NO. 701-20
RE: H.B. No. 2162
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2162, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TOWING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Clarifying the fees tow companies may charge;
(2) Clarifying the duties of a tow company when a vehicle owner arrives on the scene while the vehicle is in the process of being hooked up;
(3) Requiring tow and storage companies to accept cash and credit cards, rather than cash and either credit cards or onsite automated teller machines;
(4) Subjecting any violation of the towing statute to the
penalties and remedies under the State's unfair or deceptive acts or practices law; and
(5) Adding definitions for clarity.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs and three individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from Honolulu Towing Inc., and one individual.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2162, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair