STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1001-20
RE: H.B. No. 2128
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2128, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Make various housekeeping amendments to clarify and improve the administration of the elections by mail law;
(2) Beginning on January 1, 2021, establish a process for the automatic preregistration and registration of public school- and charter school-enrolled students who are at least sixteen years of age;
(3) Establish ranked choice voting for special federal elections, special elections for vacant state Senate or state House of Representatives seats, and special elections for vacant county council seats; and
(4) Amend the filing deadlines for candidates attempting to fill vacant state Senate seats.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Office of Elections, League of Women Voters of Hawaii, Democratic Party of Hawaii, Common Cause Hawaii, Pono Hawaii Initiative, and four individuals.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2128, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2128, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair