STAND. COM. REP. NO. 236-20
RE: H.B. No. 2117
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness, to which was referred H.B. No. 2117 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOMELESSNESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Seeks out homeless individuals throughout the State to participate in the program, with a focus on those who have yet to receive services;
(2) Assists homeless individuals by providing them temporary jobs in public service; and
(3) Connects homeless individuals with service providers.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the State Procurement Office, Honolulu Police Department, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Democratic Party of Hawaii, and three individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness and Department of Human Services.
Your Committee finds that despite increased efforts and resources to reduce homelessness in Hawaii, it has remained a significant issue. Pilot programs throughout the country provide homeless individuals with temporary work while also creating avenues for access to services these individuals need. This measure will provide work opportunities and connections to essential services for those in need.
(1) Specifying that the Procurement Code exemption for contracts entered into by the Homeless Employment Grant Program shall not extend beyond the term of the program;
(2) Requiring the Department of Human Services to examine the effectiveness, progress, and success of employment programs that target homeless young adults and youth within the Department, including those within the Homeless Programs Office and Office of Youth Services, and submit a report to the Legislature;
(3) Changing the effective date to December 31, 2059, to encourage further discussion; and
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services & Homelessness that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2117, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2117, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services & Homelessness,
JOY A. SAN BUENAVENTURA, Chair