STAND. COM. REP. NO. 321-20
RE: H.B. No. 2070
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred H.B. No. 2070 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LAND,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to:
(1) Require the counties to develop procedures to accept private donations of land that is damaged or likely to be damaged by natural disasters or climate change; and
(2) Authorize taxpayers to receive a nonrefundable, charitable income tax deduction for the donations.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from two individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Taxation.
Your Committee finds that this measure would enable counties to accept donated land that is damaged, or will likely become damaged, by natural disasters or climate change and create an incentive for potential donors of such land.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing "nonrefundable charitable deduction" to "charitable deduction";
(2) Changing the assessment mechanism for donated land from the fair market value of the land to the appraised value of the land; and
(3) Making this measure applicable to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2020.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2070, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2070, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, & Hawaiian Affairs,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair