STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3408
RE: H.B. No. 1973
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 1973, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO NON-GENERAL FUNDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Repeal or reclassify certain non-general funds and accounts of the Department of Transportation pursuant to the recommendations and commentary of the Office of the Auditor, in Report No. 19-05 and the accompanying summary; and
(2) Transfer the unencumbered balances to the general fund.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Transportation. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Hawaii Bicycling League. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Planning, County of Kauai; Tax Foundation of Hawaii; PATH – People's Advocacy for Trails Hawai‘i; Get Fit Kaua‘i; and Hawai‘i Public Health Institute.
Your Committee finds that the Auditor's Report No. 19-05 recommended that certain non-general funds be reclassified or repealed to achieve greater fiscal accountability in the Department of Transportation. Your Committee heard testimony from multiple organizations who were concerned that the amendments to the Safe Routes to School Special Fund would disrupt the administration of a currently well-administered program.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting Part V of the measure, which changes the administrator of the Safe Routes to School Special Fund from the Department of Transportation to the Legislature;
(2) Inserting an effective date of July 1, 2020; and
(3) Making a technical, nonsubstantive amendment for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1973, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1973, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
LORRAINE R. INOUYE, Chair