STAND. COM. REP. NO. 344-20
RE: H.B. No. 1973
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2020
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 1973 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO NON-GENERAL FUNDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the County of Kauai, Hawaii Public Health Institute, Hawaii Bicycling League, PATH - People Advocacy for Trails Hawaii, Kauai Path, Street Bikers United Hawaii, and numerous individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Transportation, Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu, and Tax Foundation of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that this measure is necessary to achieve
greater fiscal accountability within the Department of Transportation.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Not abolishing the Highway Senior Debt Service Reserve Account Revolving Fund administratively created in 1994 but transferring any unencumbered balances to the credit of the State Highway Fund established by section 248-8, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(2) Removing language that repealed the Safe Routes to School Program Special Fund;
(3) Modifying the manner in which implementation of county Safe Routes to School Program projects are funded and requiring an annual report by each county to the Legislature on the status and progress of its county Safe Routes to School Program, including an accounting of all grants provided through the program and a timeline for future grant awards;
(4) Removing language that repealed the Motorcycle and Motor Scooter Operators Education Fund;
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1973, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1973, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair