STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1645
RE: S.C.R. No. 55
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Agriculture and Environment and Government Operations, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 55 entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE AUDITOR TO CONDUCT A MANAGEMENT AND FINANCIAL AUDIT, TO INCLUDE OPERATIONS AND PROCUREMENT, OF THE CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU'S ANIMAL CONTROL CONTRACT WITH THE HAWAIIAN HUMANE SOCIETY,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Request that the Auditor conduct a management and financial audit, to include operations and procurement, of the City and County of Honolulu's animal control contract with the Hawaiian Humane Society; and
(2) Request that the Governor suspend release of any state grant funds awarded to the Hawaiian Humane Society until an audit clears the organization of any wrongdoing.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from Poi Dogs and Popoki, Aloha Animal Advocates, Pacific Pet Alliance, Hashtag Speak Up Movement, Cat People of Oahu, and eighteen individuals. Your Committees received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and Office of the Auditor.
Your Committees find that the Hawaiian Humane Society has received several complaints regarding the high rate of euthanasia of healthy, adoptable animals. Your Committees therefore find that this measure requests an audit as a means of increasing transparency in the expenditure of public funds and current animal control practices being undertaken pursuant to the City and County of Honolulu's animal control contract with the Hawaiian Humane Society.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Requesting that the City and County of Honolulu conduct the management and financial audit of its contract with the Hawaiian Humane Society, since the contract is under the purview of the City and County of Honolulu, and making conforming amendments;
(2) Directing the City and County of Honolulu to consider best practices for the euthanasia of animals in its audit;
(3) Amending its title to reflect its amended purpose; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Agriculture and Environment and Government Operations that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 55, as amended herein, and recommend that it be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means, in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 55, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Agriculture and Environment and Government Operations,
LAURA H. THIELEN, Chair
MIKE GABBARD, Chair