STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1196
RE: S.B. No. 997
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 997 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STADIUM AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to expand the powers and duties of the Stadium Authority to include preparing a plan to develop the Aloha Stadium area, acquiring property, and developing property.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Stadium Authority and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the League of Women Voters of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that while the redevelopment of lands under the jurisdiction of the Stadium Authority and Department of Accounting and General Services would provide a benefit to the community, the administration of that development is better suited to the strengths of the Hawaii Community Development Authority than the Stadium Authority.
Your Committee has amended this measure by deleting its contents and inserting the contents of S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 1, which, among other things:
(1) Establishes the stadium development district under the jurisdiction of the Hawaii Community Development Authority to expedite the redevelopment of Aloha Stadium and surrounding areas;
(2) Authorizes the Department of Land and Natural Resources to provide written concurrence, based on a phased review, regarding any project in the stadium development district for historical preservation purposes; and
(3) Authorizes the issuance of revenue bonds and general obligation bonds and appropriates funds to establish the stadium development district and build a new stadium,
and by further amending the contents of S.B. No. 1530, S.D. 1, by:
(1) Authorizing the Stadium Authority to acquire and hold title to real property;
(2) Transferring title of all lands comprising the stadium development district to the Stadium Authority;
(3) Exempting lands owned by the Stadium Authority from the definition of public lands;
(4) Removing provisions authorizing the issuance of revenue bonds;
(5) Changing the amount of general funds appropriated from $100,000,000 to $50,000,000;
(6) Authorizing the Director of Finance to issue $150,000,000 in reimbursable general obligation bonds;
(7) Increasing the general obligation bond appropriation from $100,000,000 to $150,000,000;
(8) Lapsing any remaining amounts of the appropriation made by Act 49, Session Laws of Hawaii 2017, for a master plan and environmental impact study for the Aloha Stadium facilities and site, and re-appropriating the lapsed amount to the Hawaii Community Development Authority for the establishment and development of the stadium development district;
(9) Providing that funds appropriated by the measure shall not lapse until June 30, 2022;
(10) Providing that revenues from the stadium development district shall be deposited into a stadium development subaccount of the Hawaii community development revolving fund; and
(11) Establishing authorized uses of moneys in the stadium development district subaccount, including a requirement that a portion of the funds be used for the reimbursement of the general fund for the costs associated with the reimbursable general obligation bonds.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 997, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 997, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair