STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1991
RE: S.B. No. 989
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 989, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, AND TOURISM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Renaming the Creative Industries Division of the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism as the Office of Creative Film and Media Industries Hawaii (Office), and providing that the Hawaii Film Office and Arts and Culture Development Branch shall be agencies of the Office;
(2) Transferring Hawaii Film Office employees to the Office without any consequence to employment benefits or status;
(3) Renaming the Hawaii Television and Film Development Special Fund as the Creative Film and Media Development Special Fund and expanding its funding sources and amending the allowable uses of the Fund;
(4) Establishing positions and appropriating funds for staffing within the Office;
(5) Appropriating funds for operations and programs of the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; and
(6) Establishing and appropriating funds for a State of Hawaii office of the Business Development and Support Division in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China.
Ho‘omanapono Political Action Committee submitted testimony in support of this measure. The Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amount appropriated for the establishment of a State of Hawaii office of the Business Development and Support Division in China to an unspecified amount; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 989, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 989, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair